Monday, 25 July 2011

Orchids

Orchids 08/07/2011
 
Whilst I may be going a little out of order here, I had to do this blog post about my love for Orchids.

I had not a green finger in my body, that was until we lived in our huge 1 bed flat! Whilst there is lots of place in our flat, out outside area is reduced to a tiny walk way balcony that I have now totally over grown with bonsais (more detail on that later!)

But also what I have needed and craved is greenery in our living space so I have tried to get the Orchid thing going. Right now I have just lost one to due to watering inside the leave area and ultimately rotting the plant to death (don’t know if the plant can recover but I am living in hope). Bonsais I seem to have mastered but not my gorgeous Orchids. And then I have 4 gorgeous ones from our wedding. Total 6 Orchids (and about 12 Bonsais).

I decided that not being a frilly flowery person I wanted to have a gorgeous bouquet for the wedding, and I just loved it BUT rather then have centrepieces, I decided to buy Orchids and vases for our centrepieces – keeping it simple yet elegant. Quite a few we gave away to close family but I managed to keep a couple which look pretty happy at present, but I still have lots of time to figure out the art of Orchid survival. The main table had 7 Orchids in a large silver champagne holder that mom now has on her dining room table. They were just amazing on the evening and will always be special every time I see them at moms!

On our honeymoon in Phuket, in all the tourist books and things to do they constantly referred to this Orchid farm that is an attraction and has been running for 30 years. After eventually convincing Marc that I HAVE to go to this place we stopped by. Wow oh wow! I got lost in the maze or Orchids. I swear there are Millions of the things here! Most interestingly is I did not see one species that looks like the White single stem ones we used at the wedding. But there was a multitude of other colours and shapes... I just loved it!

Needless to say I took an incredible amount of photos, so below are some of my pics (you will also notice I am becoming so much better with my fancy new camera). Also what was so interesting is that no matter where you look/drive/walk there are orchids growing on every surface imaginable in Thailand. The climate is perfect! I just could not believe that everyone had not 1 or 2 but many hanging in their shops or homes. They even just grew on the sides of the hills! Another thing that makes Thailand just so beautiful.

Any tips for me on how to look after them properly?? Or successful Orchid owners tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment